[TR] Head Gasket for TR3A - smooth up or down

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jul 26 18:18:09 MDT 2007

> I forgot to mention that because of my overheating, I did fabricate a
> "Geo Hahn Air Dam" out of aluminum.  It didn't help much, so
> I think my
> problems are deeper than a little air.

I was never quite sure of the explanation, but when I was driving with a
leaking head gasket, the temp gauge would do all sorts of odd things.  One
of them was to climb way past center when I first hit the freeway in the
morning, then suddenly drop back well below center.  Sometimes this cycle
would repeat, but usually it only happened once while the engine was warming
up.  Best I could tell, the leaking combustion gases would prevent water
circulation with the thermostat closed, maybe by air-locking the pump or
something.  Then the water would boil in the head, and the expanding steam
would somehow start the circulation process.  Once the thermostat opened, it
would even out, and be fine for the rest of my commute.

Also FWIW, I've overheated other TR3A engines and never lost a head gasket
that way.  Even drove home once with no fan belt, by stopping occasionally
to add more water.

So IMO while a leaking head gasket may well lead to overheating; overheating
shouldn't lead to a leaking headgasket unless you actually manage to crack
the head.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.