[TR] contact points solution

Jack W. Drews vinttr4 at geneseo.net
Thu Jul 26 05:22:19 MDT 2007

Vintage racers and some long distance drivers have found that the
points available from the Big Three have rubbing blocks that wear
very very quickly. Some of us have gone through a set of points in a
half a racing weekend. I had a set in my TR6 wear completely off on a
trip of less than 100 miles.

Same goes for rotors - what could possibly go wrong with a new rotor?
Well, the ones from at least two of the Big Three sometimes crack and
fall off, and sometimes they quit working, with no apparent visual reason.

The solution to the points problem is to buy rotors from Peter
Caldwell at http://www.nosimport.com/ . I think he sells Bosch, I
don't think they are on his website, but he charges practically
nothing for them. For points, if you can find a local parts store
that gets points from the Standard company, those points are
excellent and even have the little lubricant pad. I got mine at
Carquest in a Carquest box, but the guys behind the counter knew who
the manufacturer was. They were even listed in their desk catalog. If
you want some of these an can't find them locally, I'll buy them from
you and ship them to you at cost (NFI) but please send car model and
your mailing address in your first email.

uncle jack