[TR] carbs

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Jul 25 16:46:12 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/25/2007 5:39:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
KingR44916 at aol.com writes:
> i have a 76 tr6 been fussing with the carcs for a while can't seem to get
> it
> right had the dist drbuilt by advance looks good but my prob is that i can't
>
> get the mixture down.if i lift the piston slightly it wants to stall i
> enriched
> the needle as far as it will go.thought it was a vacume prob so i clamped
> all
> hoses still same thing . looked up everywhere what else effects the mixture
> is it possible for these needles to go bad

How far are you lifting the piston?  The lift the piston only works if you
lift I t the prescribed amount.  How far is that?  Most SU's have a piston
lifting pin that will lift it that amount.

But your Z-S doesn't have one a piston lifting pin.  That is because the
needle is not trimmed for this effect to work.  It worked on the old SU's because
the carb designers designed it to do that.  But they couldn't meet emissions
with a rich setting like that so now the Lift-The-Piston method of tuning no
longer works.  Forget about it.

The only reliable way to tune these carbs is with a CO meter (Gunson or eq).

Check with your local club, someone's bound to have one.

Dave