[TR] carbs

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jul 26 11:07:03 MDT 2007

> if i lift the piston slightly it wants
> to stall

You should only be lifting it a tiny amount, like 1/32"

> i enriched
> the needle as far as it will go.thought it was a vacume prob
> so i clamped all
> hoses still same thing .

Did you plug the line from the brake booster and PCV ?  Also, you need to
leave the bowl vent line open, as plugging it WILL affect mixture.  Probably
best to disconnect it from the canister, though, to be sure there is no
pressure or vacuum in the line.

> looked up everywhere what else
> effects the mixture

Main diaphragm, bypass valve diaphragm, piston binding, thermal compensator,
idle air bleed, dashpot vents (both bottom and top), vacuum leaks (including
throttle shaft seals), jet position in the body, needle position in the
piston, and float level.  Probably more I've forgotten.  Oh yeah, fuel.
Gasohol runs leaner than 'real' gasoline and old gas is sometimes even
worse.

Also worn needle, worn jet, leaking cold start valve; but generally these
can only cause too-rich mixture.

> is it possible for these needles to go bad

Yes, but only to the rich side.  Of course, it's possible someone has put
the wrong needle in there.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.