[TR] Contact Points

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Wed Jul 25 18:35:42 MDT 2007

All right.  I don't get this.  My TR3A daily driver had noticeably less power at low RPM's, but at lifted RPM's accelerated nicely.  At idle, though, it dropped to about 8, rumbled for about half a minute, then decreased under 5 and wanted to stall.
When I got home, I popped the distributor cap, rotated the engine to max point gap, ...and the points were still closed!  (to the naked eye, anyway)
How in the heck did this thing keep running????
(Adjusted the gap, and will check out the difference in performance tomorrow.  Enough to make me shift to electronic ignition.)
Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire