[TR] Building a 150 hp engine

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Fri Jul 13 11:22:36 MDT 2007

In a message dated 7/13/2007 1:05:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
tr3driver at ca.rr.com writes:

Which is  ironic, since it's reputedly easy to get that much using the
ordinary (and  less expensive) mods : camshaft, compression & breathing.   Kas
Kastner claimed he could get more power with the ZS carbs than with  the
Lucas PI.

I have theoretically (by calculation versus actual dyno) obtained at least
that much horsepower following Kas Kastner's race prep guidelines for cylinder
head prep, etc; advice from Richard Good from Goodparts on camshaft/rockers,
advice from Dick Stockton on carb tuning, ignition.......all from using a
triple ZS carb setup with B1E Jag needles.

I've seen the Moss supercharger installed on a TR6 - it looks pretty slick
and I'm told it runs very well and I suspect that it wasn't as difficult to
"dial -in" as my setup was.  The supercharger wasn't available in 2002  when the
bulk of my engine work was done as part of the restoration so I can't  speak
to cost comparisons but, from what I've read and seen, the  supercharger kit
seems to be a very nice power adder.  One thing that  appears to be evident
with the supercharger is that the engine note in the  exhaust isn't as "TR6" like
as stock or modified TR6's....it  sounds more "modern" - don't know how else
to explain it!

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA   USA