[TR] Oil and Water

GregoryMChait at comcast.net GregoryMChait at comcast.net
Fri Jul 13 10:09:39 MDT 2007

I want to build a streetable performance engine for my 1975 TR6. I'd love to get to 150 HP if I can get it reliably. I'm not a fan of rough idles.
I've purchased a rebuilt 1976 short block - new Moss crankshaft, new 0.40 Moss pistons, new Moss rings, new Moss bearings. It was only $600, and I could not resist at that price. I plan on upgrading all fasteners with ARP. I have purchased triple Weber DCOE carbs in anticipation of installing a 9.5 to 1 compression ratio cylinder head and a hotter cam.

1. What cam should I use?  I'd like a nice performance street engine with a good idle and no flat spots.

2. I can work over either a 1969 cylinder head or a 1975 cylinder head. Which one is best to start with?
3.  I understand that the different heads require different intake manifolds. I'd anticipated replacing valves with rimflows, valve guides with bronze, and valve seats with hardened seats. With the carb and cam set up, do I need to port the head?

4. What Weber needles and other adjustments need I make with the setup you suggest?

5. Are there any engine parts for TR6 engines that I should look out for? For example, people are having a terrible time with cam followers for MGB engines. Any similar parts of woe for TR6 engines?

From: Peter C <peter at nosimport.com>