[TR] [6pack] Flywheels

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Dec 31 10:13:22 MST 2007

> Going on, some folks report stalling the car with a 10#
> flywheel on startup.
> Might be the X factor. (The difference between driving styles)

I'd like to chime in here, as I am one of those people.  There is no doubt
in my mind that I got spoiled by many years of driving a stock TRactor motor
to work every day in stop and go traffic.  Gobs of low-end torque (due in
large part to the heavy stock flywheel) combined with the stump-pulling 3.38
first gear of the original 3-synchro gearbox make an engine that is hard to
stall, even deliberately.  With a smooth clutch release, you can move
forward the next 10 feet in traffic without even touching the throttle.

Then I switched to an alloy flywheel, with lighter diaphragm clutch and a
4-synchro box with 2.99 first gear.  Yeah, I had trouble with killing the
engine; but only on slow starts (like when rolling forward the next 10 feet
in Los Angeles traffic).  Hard launches were no problem (and were
significantly faster due to both the lighter flywheel and more useful 1st
gear).

> Take a look at the offerings that Miata has for flywheels.

IMO, even a stock Miata is easier to kill (and harder to launch quickly)
than my TR; even after making the above mods to the TR3A.

Bottom line, you can learn to drive anything, even if it makes no torque at
all below 3000 rpm.  It just takes some of us longer to learn !  (Insert
line about old dogs & new tricks)

I will definitely be moving the lightweight setup to my 'new project' TR3
when the opportunity arises.

Randall