[TR] [6pack] TR6 tub removal

N197TR4 at cs.com N197TR4 at cs.com
Sun Dec 30 22:00:42 MST 2007

Marty!   How are you?

I have pulled off a few TR3 and a few TR4 bodies with and without the engine
in place.

I have always put the body on a complete chassis assembly.

Removing the body allows amazing access to places you would never get to
otherwise.

In most cases, I made a roll around platform for the body. This presents the
body at a good work height and storage on the base of the platform below. I
never found it necessary to weld or bolt stabilizing bars within the bodywork. I
doubt if they did on the assembly line, either.

Jacking up the chassis to work height is also much easier.  Work is easier
and the final product is more satisfying. Frame reinforcing on a TR chassis is a
good idea, as you already know.

All that being said, I hope I never do another frame off project. Dont want
to leave my widow with that mess.  :-)

Joe A

> Ok folks, just how big a job is it to pull the tub off a TR6. I am doing
> some
> work in the barn on the TR6 and as I pick out things on my wish list to do
> while I have things apart would be to do some frame re-enforcements. In my
> mind I always pictured pulling the tub off as a big project that once started
> would keep leading to one more next thing that would need done. Interior is
> out of the car right now. Can you leave the engine and drive train  in the
> car
> and and just pull the tub off, then do what needs done and then just drop it
> back down and bolt it back on? It probably cant be that simple but I thought
> would ask. What say ye experts out there?
>
> Thanks,
> Marty

   </HTML>