[TR] [6pack] Flywheels

N197TR4 at cs.com N197TR4 at cs.com
Sun Dec 30 21:44:09 MST 2007

Miscellaneous Thoughts

Flywheels are a good subject. I am convinced that it is the best bang for the
performance buck, when lighter than stock.....a very good article was done on
this in the Six Pack Magazine.

TR flywheels are notoriously heavy....there appeared to be a need for the
market to be able to smoothly accelerate in fourth gear from 20 mph.  maybe the
Brits were thinking of the Americans and their Slush-O-Matics.

Going on, some folks report stalling the car with a 10# flywheel on startup.
Might be the X factor. (The difference between driving styles)

Take a look at the offerings that Miata has for flywheels. One is 9#s for
competition and one is 13# for street/autocross.  That may validate my "X"
factor. Perhaps.

I prefer the 10# steel design for my TR4 #197, but that may just be personal
preference. And I was able to acquire one for a reasonable price from Germany

In extreme applications alloy flywheels have been known to come adrift. On
the other hand, Greg Solow has run alloy flywheels under great duress for 25
years without a problem (in four cylinder TR engines)  Another "X" factor
condition?

Otherwise, I would go with with a lightened flywheel done by a competent
machinist with a good set up....Richard Seaton has a good sounding recommendation.
Great price, too.  Always a consideration for me.

Finally, sometimes a good pair of jeans fit just right...and sometimes they
dont. Might depend on what you stuff in them. Or as Forest Gump says....

Joe A

> Hi Bob,
>
> I have the Fidanza flywheel in for a few years and love it. All of the
> plus's of a lighter flywheel without the fear of 30 year old metallurgy
> flying apart. Besides, you'll never be able to lighten the steel
> flywheel enough to compare to the aluminum unit , 13lb w/the ring gear.
> If you go this route let Herman know , he had to make a special pilot
> bushing to work with the flywheel & W58 gear box. The new bushing also
> fits in the end of the crank.
>
> --
> Mitch Seff
> Oceanside, N.Y.