[TR] TR3 video.

Michael Marr mmarr at notwires.com
Fri Aug 31 11:47:05 MDT 2007

Actually, the Sunbeam version of the Imp was called the Stilletto in the UK,
if I remember correctly.  It had twin Stromberg CD125s and the rear window had
a more gradual slope than the regular Imp, so that it looked like a fastback.
Is that what you had, or did Chrysler rebadge the regular Hillman Imp and call
it a Sunbeam when they exported it to the US?

The Imp and its derivatives had an 875 cc all-aluminum engine, with single
OHC.  It was based on a Coventry Climax ffirepump engine, I believe, like many
of C-C's engines.  It was a great motor - I could lift thw bare block in one
hand and swing it around my head.  You could remove engine and gearbox as a
unit by removing the single engine mount from the rear apron/crossmember,
removing the two transmission mounts at the front, disconnecting the half
shafts from the gearbox, drop the engine/gearbox onto jackstands or whatever
was available, removing the rear crossmember and rolling the car forward,
leaving the engine behind on the jackstands (it was a rear-engine car).  That
made it really easy to rebuild the engine for an impecunious college student
who could only afford basic hand tools.

Those were the days...

Mike