[TR] Adjusting valves on a TR6

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Fri Aug 24 22:41:55 MDT 2007

In a message dated 8/24/2007 9:29:50 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

From:  "Jim Muller" <jimmuller at rcn.com>
> On 25 Aug 2007 at 3:11,  pethier at comcast.net wrote (and Randall wrote
> similarly):
> >  Backwards is easier because you can bump the car bumper with your
> >  knees while you are looking at the valves or distributor cam or
> >  whatever you are working on.
>
> Well, as I said before, with a  Spitfire or GT6 that's not an issue!

Hmm.  The titular TR6 has a  front-hinged hood, too.  Oops.

> > Obviously the Europa was  easier forwards, because I was bumping the
> > back bumper.   :-)
>
> I woulda' thought the Europa had overhead cams adjusted  with shims.

The Twin Cam cars did.

> Except that it  was just a Renault engine after all, right.  Or was it
>  adjustable OHC?

The Renault engine in the original and Series 2 Lotus  Europa cars was a
pushrod engine with rocker arms.  That's what I  had.  There is nothing sticking
out the front of the engine.  It is  completely flat.  The cam pulley sticks
out the back of the block, but  you are sternly warned to NEVER attempt to turn
over the engine by turning the  cam pulley.

>Or was the JPS a real Lotus engine?

All  of the Twin Cam, Europa Special and the rare-but-often-faked John Player
 Special Europa cars had Ford blocks with the Lotus Twin Cam  head.

>Or are you just
> talking about setting static  timing?

That too.

> So many questions.

I hope I had  so many answers.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993  Suburban,

If you have a TR3 up on jackstands and have a trouble light sitting under
the pan, and yuu have the front wheels removed, and you bump the starter motor
with the car in gear, it will leap off the jackstands, and will  flatten the
trouble light so flat you can hang it on your garage wall for your  friends to
admire.
Mike Moore