[TR] Adjusting valves on a TR6

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Fri Aug 24 22:29:06 MDT 2007

From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller at rcn.com>
> On 25 Aug 2007 at 3:11, pethier at comcast.net wrote (and Randall wrote
> similarly):
> > Backwards is easier because you can bump the car bumper with your
> > knees while you are looking at the valves or distributor cam or
> > whatever you are working on.
>
> Well, as I said before, with a Spitfire or GT6 that's not an issue!

Hmm.  The titular TR6 has a front-hinged hood, too.  Oops.

> > Obviously the Europa was easier forwards, because I was bumping the
> > back bumper.  :-)
>
> I woulda' thought the Europa had overhead cams adjusted with shims.

The Twin Cam cars did.

> Except that it was just a Renault engine after all, right.  Or was it
> adjustable OHC?

The Renault engine in the original and Series 2 Lotus Europa cars was a pushrod engine with rocker arms.  That's what I had.  There is nothing sticking out the front of the engine.  It is completely flat.  The cam pulley sticks out the back of the block, but you are sternly warned to NEVER attempt to turn over the engine by turning the cam pulley.

>Or was the JPS a real Lotus engine?

All of the Twin Cam, Europa Special and the rare-but-often-faked John Player Special Europa cars had Ford blocks with the Lotus Twin Cam head.

>Or are you just
> talking about setting static timing?

That too.

> So many questions.

I hope I had so many answers.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,