[TR] Restoration expert stole my car

Glenn A. Merrell StagByTriumph at tscusa.org
Fri Aug 24 15:54:42 MDT 2007

brian fitzgerald wrote:
> Just wanted everyone to know, that after paying a "restoration expert" over
> $17,000 he has disappeared.  Got evicted from his shop, disconnected his
> phone and won't answer my letters [I think I have his address]  He also
> still has my 1960 TR3A...Anybody ever sucessfully sue in similar situations?
>   If so, was it NY and can I have the lawyers name?

Brian,

Was it in Poughkeepsie by any chance??  Do you have receipts showing all
work is paid for??  Take the receipts, and your title and registration
with photos to the Police, file a theft report IMMEDIATELY!!!  IF the
car is in his facility and visible, the Police will make three attempts
to contact the property owner.  If they can not get in touch with the
owner and it is visibly identifiable that it is your car,  the sheriff
will cut locks to allow you to retrieve your car.  You may need to get a
court order first using the information obtained by the police.

If you do not have receipts, get copies of your checks or credit car
charges.  I hope you did not pay cash ...

--
Glenn A. Merrell
Chairman, Triumph Stag Club USA (2007-2009)