[TR] More questions?

Bob Labuz yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Aug 19 15:23:20 MDT 2007

On Sunday 19 August 2007 03:42 pm, Paul Dorsey wrote:
> 1. Is there ever a problem created by dissassembling the oil pressure line
> on a TR3?

Paul,

No, as long as you replace or heat the copper washers to a red hot before
reassembly. Remember that the washers are of different inside diameter.

The washer with the larger diameter goes against the filter assembly and the
other against the special nut.

Also it is a good idea to replace that 50 year old flex line. The line on the
TR4 project started leaking during break in!

A very nice replacement is available at TRF and they were in stock when I
replaced the one on the 3 which was not leaking and the 4 which was!

> 2. Will dripping a drop of hot solder onto a hot bullet connector make it
> into a good connector?  Or will solder not really stick to these
> 'galvinized' pieces.

All my bullet connectors on the 3 and 4 are soldered and contain shrink tubing
in order to add strength.

The connectors I have are brass and clean up nicely with a wire wheel for the
outside and sand paper for the inside.

I have never seen a galvanized bullet connector. Tinned with solder but not
galvanized with zinc.

> 3. Where can I tie-into the console for 'non-switched device' such as an
> electric fan?

A good spot is the wire that goes to the heater fan. This should be a solid
green wire originating at A2 in the fuse panel.

If you want the power to be only available when the ignition is on the wire
would originate at A4 but there are a bunch of stuff on that circuit.

Bob