[TR] Radiator Cap Pressure Rating

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 14:21:16 MDT 2007

> I like the puking analogy.....and that would explain why the
> electric fan
> might turn on after you've shut the engine off.

They happen for the same reason : when you shut the engine off, the insides
of the cylinders are still hot.  That heat moves into the coolant in the
engine block and cylinder head; but the coolant is no longer moving to carry
the heat away to the radiator.  If the coolant inside the engine gets hot
enough, it boils a little and forces coolant out the overflow.  The boiling
absorbs heat though, so it cools the engine and stops the boiling.

A higher pressure cap means the coolant can absorb more heat before it
boils.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.