[TR] Regrinding TR3 lifters?

tr3driver at ca.rr.com tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Aug 13 22:47:42 MDT 2007

> Has anyone
> had any good or bad experiences with having lifters reground?

It's my understanding that the result has the same problem as some of the new lifters; they are too soft.  At any rate, I had some original lifters reground years ago by Babe Erson, and after only 10,000 miles or so, they had started to spall and break up.

Since then, I have heard Kas Kastner's advice to run a new camshaft/lifters at a fast idle for 20 minutes or so (which contradicts many other's advice about driving the engine).  He claims that will work harden the lifters and cam lobes.

Also, Greg Solow (The Engine Room) and Ken Gillanders (British Frame and Engine) both have new lifters that work.  (Likely others too, those are just the ones I've heard about.)  Greg does a 100% test on his new lifters, while Ken has a solution from a different engine.

There is also the whole fuss about reduced ZDDP levels in modern motor oil being a problem for "flat" lifter engines, but I'm not convinced that applies to stock TR motors.  Still, it wouldn't hurt to throw in a can of GM's EOS additive during break-in (which contains ZDDP).

Randall