[Tigers] 15 tooth

Will Seay Tigers at embarqmail.com
Mon Jun 7 10:01:47 MDT 2021

Before you guys go off in search of the "correct" 15-tooth gear, you should
consider other sources of error in your speed indication.  In stock form,
the Smiths-Jaeger speedo is pretty linear, but it has an indicating error
due to the fact that the indicating pointer is unbalanced.  This unbalance
causes the speedo to read low (because it's lifting the weight of the
pointer) for the first half of its rotation (0 - 70 MPH) and to read high
for the second half (downhill from 70 MPH).  I balanced my pointer by
coiling up a short length of solder and placing it in the base of the
pointer to counter the weight of the pointer.  Just a rough balance is
fine.  I then calibrated the speedo against GPS.  The calibration is done
by just twisting the needle.  The needle is spring-loaded against the stop
so the zero point stays fixed.   The speedo is now accurate to better that
1 MPH at up to 80 MPH.  That's with 185-70X13 tires and a 16-tooth gear.
Of course, the ultimate test of calibration is to check the odometer
calibration.  I haven't done that, but you don't get speeding tickets for
odometer errors.

Will - 382001570
Tigers at embarqmail.com