[Tigers] 15 tooth

Ron Fraser rfraser at bluefrog.com
Thu Jun 10 11:57:20 MDT 2021

The biggest factor with the speedometer accuracy, besides their age now, is tire circumference.

Looking just at the math for this from the speedometer to the tire using stock components.

MK I       980 rev/mi  speedometer – 15 tooth gear is totally accurate with a tire circumference of 74.48”

                980 speedometer – 16 tooth gear – 69.82”

I have always been told that the 16 tooth works better with todays radial tire size.

MK II      1020 speedometer – 17 tooth gear – 73.67”

This is the sweet spot – tires need to be slightly bigger so they wear through that circumference.

Change differential gears and it all changes again.

Ron Fraser