[Tigers] Garage Floor Coating

Tom Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Wed Nov 7 08:55:06 MST 2018

I’d agree about the cleanliness. I have a shed with various concrete pours as a floor.  One section had a coarse concrete that seemed rather damp at times. I attributed this to porosity.  I used a product called “Drylok” over the whole floor before I did the epoxy coating. Within 6 months the coarse half of the room had lifted in as large as 4” sheets. Now I have more of a mess on my hands that when I started. I don’t blame the epoxy coating, but rather the Drylok that I ‘thought’ would be a benefit.

I think the epoxy product has a high scuff value. So with good adhesion it should be durable. But if you have dampness or oil spots they need to be dealt with properly.  There is something on my garage floor that causes water to bead on the seemingly raw concrete. The previous owner ran a machine shop in the garage.  My guess is that spilled coolant, cutting oil etc. is embedded in the concrete and it is not a good candidate for epoxy coatings.

Rustoleum probably has a moisture limit for application and I believe there are means to test the percentage. You might consult their site for more information. If you shop is new, has a vapor barrier, good drainage away from the property and you live in a low humidity climate these concerns are probably mote.