[Tigers] Garage Floor Coating

awtiger at cox.net awtiger at cox.net
Wed Nov 7 08:11:24 MST 2018

Hey, Gary:

I've had a little experience with both petroleum-based two-part epoxy floor paint and water-based two-part epoxy floor paint.  After following the directions to the letter in both situations with regards to floor prep (which is monumentally important), the long term results were completely different between the two products.  Bear in mind that both floors were no more than three months old when I applied the paint.

The floor that took the petroleum-based paint still looks good to this day, even after all the abuse it's taken over the years.  Man, it would take a jack hammer to get the paint off that floor!!!  The floor that took the water-based paint, however, didn't fare so well after time.  True enough, the water-based paint was the easier of the two to apply and they both looked fantastic after they were finished.  However, the water-based floor simply did not stand up to the abuse that the petroleum-based floor seemed to take with apparent ease.  The first time I dropped a wrench on it, it chipped the paint...and it got worse from there.  I was so disgusted with it all that I ended up putting RaceDeck down over the water-based floor.  So far, the RaceDeck has performed beyond expectations and I would recommend it as a possible option for you if you were inclined to look at that sort of product.

Best of luck with your decision and post some pics when you're done!!!

Take care,

Andy Walker

Edmond, OK