[Tigers] Electrical short during start attempt

Steven L. Finberg w1gsl at mit.edu
Fri Jul 20 16:28:51 MDT 2018

Hi Graham

You don't have  a short circuit.   You have an open circuit in the starter motor connection.
This is a wide braid connection from the engine block to the frame and back to the battery negative.
When you try to start several hundred amps need to flow.  Since the strap is broken (open) the current
tries to find an alternative ground thru your small black wires over heating them :-( .
Trace and fix the starter ground then see if the small grounds need replacement.

Steve F
67 Alpine