[Tigers] Electrical short during start attempt

Graham Harlowe gharlowe at comcast.net
Sun Jul 22 12:03:17 MDT 2018

Thank you all for the replies. (I knew I should have paid more attention
during those EE classes!)   The starter circuit seems pretty straight
forward:  heavy gauge positive cable from the battery to the starter
solenoid and then to the starter/engine block.  The circuit is closed via
the ground strap from the engine block to the chassis at the clutch slave
cylinder and then from the chassis to the battery negative terminal via the
short cable at the trunk bulkhead.

The "two" ground wires that fried are actually two ends of the same wire.
The wire enters the harness from the ballast resistor (chassis mount), does
a 180 inside the harness, and exits the loom with the sending unit wire
(block mount).  As others have said, when the heavy gauge starter circuit is
open, the power seeks another ground path and the light gauge ground wire
between chassis and block couldn't carry the load.

I found the ground strap at the slave cylinder was intact with good
connections.  I'll remove and clean up the contacts to be sure.  The battery
cable at the trunk bulkhead wasn't tight.  I'll tighten that connection and
hope that was the primary problem.

Let me know if there are any other places to look or items to check.

Thanks again,

- Graham

---

tigers at autox.team.net