[Tigers] Gas Cap Questions

Joe Brown jbbrown1980 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 16:23:06 MDT 2018

In case anybody is interested, here is an update on my gas cap project.
The holes in the new cap were about 3/32" in diameter, which just happens
to be the drill size you need for a 4-40 tap.  I used a 3/32" drill bit to
clean out the holes and get them to a uniform depth.  Then I started to tap
the threads with a 4-40 tap.  Because the tap has a taper on it I was only
able to thread a little ways into the hole.  After getting a couple of
threads started in each hole I took another 4-40 tap I had and used a
Dremel to cut off the tapered part.  Then I was able to go back and tap the
holes deeper.

I bought some stainless steel 4-40 screws at Ace, but the shortest they had
was 1/4".  I used the Dremel again to cut about half of that length off.
When I ground the heads off of the original rivets I kept the washers and
used them with my new 4-40 screws and everything works great.

Gary mentioned that somebody had told him a new cork gasket would just slip
on.  I didn't realize that anybody sold new gaskets that fit this piece.
So I check the Sunbeam Specialties catalog again and sure enough, there it
is (part number GT58G).  I'll include one of those with my next order.

Now I just need to assemble the push button to the lid and the lid to the
base using the pins that came with the new lid.  The pins are pretty loose
so I will probably put some locktite on one end of each pin and see if that
holds up.  I'm open to other suggestions.

Thanks for all of the replies and ideas.

Thanks,
Joe Brown