[Tigers] Master Cylinder Pushrod

Jay Laifman jay.laifman at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 17:22:25 MDT 2017

Here is another issue that I've learned with my 912 and now my Alpine.  I
don't know if it applies with the Tiger.

The entire clutch system is designed for each piece to work together
exactly.  When the clutch is depressed to exactly the right place, where
the finger springs have gone flat, the clutch plate is fully released.  If
you go past that point, the fingers actually start pivoting in a way that
it cycles back and starts pushing the clutch to close again - even though
your foot kept going the same direction.  In the 912 (and 356) you can
actually feel this point - it's called "over center."  You feel the pedal
get a tiny bit lighter, then get a bit heavier again.  For the 912/356, you
adjust the clutch cable to stop just after that point.

On the Alpine, there are a few people who have reported this happening, and
I am having it happen on mine - that is, if I put the clutch pedal in to
about 1" from the floor, it shifts smoother than if I put the clutch pedal
all the way to the floor.  I don't know the exact cause yet.  But, it could
be from a slightly mismatched clutch master/slave.  I have only purchased
what was supposed to be direct replacements from SS.  So I'm assuming
that's not it.  Or admittedly, I changed the pivot arm and stand inside my
clutch when I swapped in the new tranny (25+ years ago).  It was just
slightly off.  At the time, I didn't think anything of it.  But, now, I'm
wondering if that "slightly off" was enough to do it.  Fortunately, I still
have the other stand and arm to put back in one of these days.

Moral is, be careful with mixing and matching clutch parts!

On Tue, Sep 12, 2017 at 12:23 PM, Tom Witt via Tigers <tigers at autox.team.net