[Tigers] ideal toploader gears for a Tiger

Tom Witt atwittsend at verizon.net
Wed Dec 28 11:54:59 MST 2016

One also needs to factor in tire size into the ratio equation. Changing the tire diameter (and thus the circumference) is that same as changing gear ratios.  Some Tiger owners will run 165 or 175–70–13” tires and some will run 2XX- 50ish-16” tires.  I’ve not run the numbers but it could be that a close ratio and short 13” tires isn’t a whole lot different in 1st gear than a wide ratio and a tall 16” tire.  I’ll probably mutter this to the day I die, why isn’t there an industry standard that factors trans, rear end and tire size, something like ‘engine revolutions per mile’ and a recommended “window” based on engine torque? It just seems so logical for matching the three properly.

Some other things to ponder while on the transmission subject:
1. Toploaders are not cheap. A quick check on Ebay has them in the $1,000-$2,500 range and most are closer to the higher end. At an outright replacement it probably runs in the T-5 cost range.
2. However..., even the WC T-5 is now 30 years in existence. For the frugal minded just try finding one at Pick A Part - at all, much less that doesn’t have the longer input shaft and or other oddities that make the early WC T-5 trans desirable for a Tiger. If co$t isn’t important I believe the Ford Motorsport 2.95 trans is still available.
3. Has anyone adapted the Tremec 5 speed with the external shifter (2005-2010 4.0 Mustang)?  It would seem little fabrication is needed to position the shifter where needed. This would seem to eliminate rare or costly adaptations. The down side is a 3.75 1st, flange mounted driveshaft and possible input shaft length issues. Just when one problem gets solved others pop up.  I wonder if the tailshafts swap???

I agree with most, if you have a wide ratio Toploader it is the most PRACTICAL way to go.  Just find the tallest tires you can fit in the rear wheel wells (205-70-14” or 15” ???), mount them on cheap, steel wheels (they becoming your “$100 overdrive”). Then drive to the long distance Tiger events. Swap out your regular wheels (one of which can be your spare) once there. Less noise, less gas, less cost.