[Spridgets] Aluminum Radiators

Michael MacLean springer.mike51 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 12:53:28 MDT 2021

I just got off the phone with a local radiator shop.  I was told a re-core
of my original radiator would cost $3-400.  The reason is the price of
copper and the availability of materials due to the pandemic halting
production.  This is assuming I have a modern type core put in.  The
straight horizontal fin cores are available, but they are used in
industrial applications like fork lifts and farm equipment.  He was honest
enough to say even the Chinese radiator would probably work better than my
20+ year old radiator re-core with horizontal straight fins if the Chinese
radiator had a modern type core in it.  He also said any radiator that
cheap ($170) can only be manufactured outside of the US.  He also said the
cooling efficiency was not that different between copper and aluminum.  So,
now I really don't know which way to go.  I really don't think I need a
$600 aluminum radiator.  I will not be racing this Bugeye.  The problem now
is my MGB GT is running hot too.  Checked timing on both cars.  Top
radiator hose gets hot, so I really don't think the thermostat is a
problem.  Crap.
Mike MacLean