[Spridgets] Aluminum Radiators

John OBrien banjojohn at cox.net
Mon Apr 26 12:34:51 MDT 2021

Michael, I did succumb to the lure of using an Aluminum radiator in my
bugeye.  I had it built custom, and it was not cheap (don't recall how
much, but my wife groaned when I told her).  I was attempting to add on
a Judson Supercharger, and thought I'd need additional cooling
capacity.  I never could get the engine to run right with the Judson so
I took it off.  I have to say the aluminum radiator keeps everything
running cool, so I won't be swapping back, but everything I've read says
a copper (original material) core is the most efficient.  If your car
used to run cool, and just started having problems keeping up, you might
just take the radiator to a good old fashioned radiator shop and have it
disassembled, rodded out and flushed good.  I was having cooling issues
on my BJ8, and took my radiator to a shop and asked if they could refit
it with a higher capacity core.  He looked at it and said, "This is a
high capacity core, but it is clogged up."  after he cleaned it out, it
has been handling high temperature days, etc. just fine.   Of course the
disassembly and cleaning may cost nearly the same as one of the Chinese
aluminum radiators.

John O'Brien

'61 Bugeye (Lucy)

'65 BJ8 (Madelyn)

On 4/26/2021 11:34 AM, Michael MacLean via Spridgets wrote:
>      My Bugeye has been running hot in any ambient temperature over 80
> degrees lately.  I have the original radiator that was re-cored with
> an OEM type core almost 25 years ago.  I have been leaning towards
> getting an aluminum radiator. Moss sells a two row aluminum radiator
> for $300.  You can get a Chinese made Bugeye type radiator on Fleabay
> for $165 with free shipping.  Nevermind the fact Moss charges a $10
> oversize fee on top of a shipping charge of $27 and then of course
> California has to get their cut ($24).  It adds up.
>      A call to Moss just now was not all that helpful.  I was told
> that all they know is their aluminum radiator comes from Moss Europe.
> Other than that, they have no idea country of manufacture.  Since both
> radiators are just about the same in construction and core size I am
> not sure what to do here.  With Frank's words on Chinese made crap
> echoing in my head might I be better off getting my original radiator
> re-cored with an up to date core that will have more cooling fin
> area?  Do the aluminum radiators make that much difference?
> Mike MacLean

> spridgets at autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75