[Spridgets] A day at the auto show

Robert E. Shlafer pilotrob at webtv.net
Sat Feb 21 06:35:02 MST 2009

"Who's got 50% and their first born to put down?"

Really!!! Yep...we've come a long way, baby!

Back in the 50's, lot's of middle class working stiffs paid cash for their new Chevy or Ford every 4 - 6 years  or so, putting down a substantial amount and paying off the bal in 6-12 month or up to 24 for those earning less.

And two car families were beginning to appear, 1 less than 4 years old, 1 less than 6 or so as people were generally paying  only 25% of their take-home to put a reasonably decent roof over the family's head back then.

My family's first house, a 3 story colonial in a nice neighborhood ran less than 28k in '48. Good times, man. :)

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)