[Spridgets] BMC fastener codes--

Bill Masquelier billmasq at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 2 17:31:16 MST 2009

A few days ago someone was asking for some way of reading the BMC fastener
codes (or something like that).
I got a complete breakdown at the last MG club meeting:
I typed some of it in, hopefully enough to give everyone clues of how to read
them:
(I type realllllly slowly and that's why I didn't type it all in)
Bill

Bolts-

Hex head bolts:

Prefix:     Thread:      Finish:

HBN        UNF           PLAIN
HBZ        UNF           ZINC
HBP        UNF           CHROME
HCN       UNC           PLAIN
HCZ        UNC          ZINC
HCP        UNC          CHROME

Cup head square neck bolts:

CBN        UNF         PLAIN
CBZ        UNF         ZINC

Hex head screws: (threaded full length)

HNS        UNF          PLAIN
HZS        UNF          ZINC
HPS        UNF          CHROME
HPN        UNF          PLAIN (POINTED SHANK)
HPZ        UNF          ZINC (POINTED SHANK)
HPP        UNF          CHROME (POINTED SHANK)
NCS       UNC           PLAIN
ZCS       UNC           ZINC
PCS       UNC           CHROME

PMN                      PLAIN    PAN HEAD
PMZ                      ZINC     PAN HEAD
PMP                      CHROME PAN HEAD
PPN                       PLAIN  PAN HEAD POINTED
PPZ                       ZINC  PAN HEAD POINTED
PPP                       CHROME PAN HEAD POINTED
RMN                      PLAIN  RAISED COUNTERSUNK
RMZ                      ZINC  RAISED COUNTERSUNK
RMP                      CHROME  RAISED COUNTERSUNK

          --- Bolt code sizes----

                                    DIAMETER (in 1/16 ths)
LENGTH:         1/4            5/16        3/8            7/16           1/2
5/8
(IN 1/8ths)
1"                 0408
1 1/8             0409
1 1/4             0410          0510
1 3/8             0411          0511        0611
1 1/2             0412          0512        0612         0712
1 5/8             0413          0513        0613         0713          0813

                       --- ETC----
(SAME SIZE PHILOSOPHY APPLIES TO ALL BOLT TYPES)

                                   SCREW SIZES

                                         DIAMETER (in 1/16ths)
LENGTH:           #6           #10         1/4        5/16          3/8
7/16        1/2
(IN 1/16ths)
3/16                 0203       0303
1/4                  0204       0304
5/16                 0205       0305
3/8                   0206       0306       0406
                        ---etc--
            ---continues thru 2" length----

----------------NUTS FOLLOW SAME PHILOSOPHY FOR SIZES AND FINISH--------