[Spridgets] Much accomplished last night

Jim Johnson bmwwxman at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 08:15:15 MDT 2009

David,

This will be a great experience for both you and Kyle.  The first time I did
this job it took me all afternoon by myself and a significant vocabulary as
I learned the nuances of the job.  The most recent time I did it I was all
alone again and timed it. Just over 45 minutes from the first bolt out of
the bonnet until the tranny tail piece came free of the engine bay. You get
used to it I guess.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 5:35 AM, David Booker <tncarnut1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> About the time I got home from work last night, my friend Dave dropped by
> deliver the hoist I'm borrowing from yet another friend.  Both are from my
> MG
> Club here on the island.  Dave is a very interesting guy who seems to have
> made his livelihood through sports cars and race cars for much of his life.
> If not making a living through them, he's certainly been around them and is
> wealth of knowledge and humor.
>
> I thought he was just going to drop it off and give me couple suggestions
> for
> this Saturday when a few friends from the club are gathering here to help
> me
> yank the engine/tranny.  Well, we ended up removing the hood, then decided
> turn the car around so that it faced inwards (toward the lights and away
> from
> any potential rain),  then we thought we might as well put it up on the
> stands
> and ramps...You see where this is going.
>
> My son Kyle really likes Dave, and the feeling is apparently mutual.  While
> was making a couple of plates to bolt into and pull the engine with, Dave
> talked Kyle through removing the fuel line, throttle cable, choke cable,
> carbs, intake manifold and exhaust manifold.  We all had a great time out
> there till about 9:00.  All I gotta do now is go buy some taps, then I (or
> more probably Kyle) will remove the dizzy so's not to break it.
>
> Seems we're all ready for Saturday.  If anybody wants to drop by let me
> know
> and I'll tell you how to get here.  You won't have to work as Kyle seems
> determined to do the whole job himself.
>
>  - David Booker
> '71 Midget in pieces
> Long Island

Cheers!!
Jim
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am
not
sure about the former. - Albert Einstein