[Spridgets] Rollbar and Spridget Safety

Robert Bruce Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 25 17:07:06 MDT 2007

With all of this talk about roll bars and safety, I am taken back to the halcyon days of the Golden Age of sports cars.  Before a SCCA race, someone would rent a pipe bender, and out behind Small Car Motors we would all pitch in to help the newest Juan Manuel Fangio or challenger to Sterling Moss.  Beginning with a piece of galvanized pipe (hmmm, was that 2" or 3"?), we would bend it and weld it to fit.  I think the final step was the Wrigley's Spearmint gum to hold it in place.  And they passed SC CA tech inspections in a breeze.

Buster Evans