[Spridgets] Rollbar and Spridget Safety

derf derf247 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 16:16:58 MDT 2007

Roll bars are mostly sought after for safety reasons and because they
look good or sporty.
But, don't waste your money on something just for looks.
They sell "style bars" for Miatas that look nice, 3" SS tubing.  They
are cheap, <$100 and add a little rollover protection over nothing.
But, those in the know call them "mouse traps" or "rat traps".  A good
roll bar cost around $450 or more.  With patience, I found an
Autopower bar on craigslist for $150 and then a Hard Dog ($450 new) on
ebay for $89.

The idea of finding a local racing shop to fab one up is good.  Find a
picture of a roll bar you like on a car like yours.  Print the picture
out and take it to the shop.  You might be surprised by the cost.
Usually when I do stuff like that I run into several people who "Had
one of those Midgets back in '67" or something like that.  If you
catch them during the slow times you'll get a better deal.
Again, use good hardware and backing plates or the thing is about useless.
Also, you can get a hydraulic tubing bender from Horrible Frait for
<$100 and tubing from onlinemetals.com.  Bend/weld yourself or bend
and let a pro do the welding.  Just a thought.
Cheers,
Derf