[Spridgets] 67 Progress if anybody cares--now "Christmas"

Robert Bruce Evans b-evans at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 29 11:07:06 MST 2007

Robert Duquette wrote:  "I don't much care who I offend or exclude by
calling it Christmas, even though I don't consider myself to be very
religious."

Well, I am probably more religious than most, but I don't take offense by
"the term".  I just believe it to be dumb and for the lazy.  I do know that
it became very popular with the growth of newspapers and editors found it
much easier to write a headline using "the term" rather than work a little
harder to fit the full word "Christmas" into a hed.  When I was an editor,
I always found the time and ways to totally avoid using "the term".   As
far as the belief that "the term" has been used "for over 1,000 years", I
do not for one minute believe that people use it the any of the reasons
cited in Wikipedia.  Although it is claimed that "there are references in
the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021 AD", I have studied and used
in my own research that particular chronicle extensively.  It is something
I will have to get back to the university library to check out for myself!

Buster Evan