[Spits] GT6 Radiator Caps

Jim Holmgren Jim.Holmgren at corp.aol.com
Fri Dec 26 12:06:31 MST 2008

One of those fancy non-contact laser thermometers works great for checking
this.  I thought my Spit was running WAY hot this summer until a friend used
his laser thermometer and showed me that it was running perfectly in the temp
range.  Talk about a sense of relief!  It turns out my voltage regulator was
done in and had my temp gauge reading way off.

You can pick up a cheap one at Horrible Freight for about $40.  Nice to be
able to see the temp at the top and bottom of the radiator, at the thermostat
housing, at the header, etc. at a glance.  Plus...it's a lot of fun to play
with.  :)

Actually - they are on sale right now for $29.99
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96451

Jim

'68 Spitfire Mk3
'75 Spitfire 1500
'77 Spitfire 1500
NASS #302
York, PA
www.littlebluespitfire.com

Make sure you check the temp with a calibrated gauge before you get
too excited. I have several gauges and senders, and found that I
could make the gauge read anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 depending on
exactly which combination I used!

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, ME
Freddy the '74 Spitfire
Freddy's new older sister - '69 Saab Sonett #1243 - winter project

The information transmitted in this email is intended only for the person(s)
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
email in error, please contact the sender and permanently delete the email
from any computer.