[Spits] GT6 Radiator Caps

Kevin Rhodes krhodes1 at maine.rr.com
Fri Dec 26 10:25:00 MST 2008

At 10:32 AM 12/26/2008, Todd Bermudez wrote:
>Aside from spring issues, I noticed that the PO
>installed a 7 lb radiator cap which would be stock on
>a GT6 mk1 application.  However the engine is a MK2
>engine and I think it has domed pistons...it goes
>really well!  I noted that the parts books all call
>for a 13 lb cap.  Would this help cool the system
>better?  I ran hot all summer long so of course I ran
>the heater!  Thank goodness for those CLOTH Miata
>seats!  Oh, we picked up a radiator shroud from
>Spitbits.  I'm hoping that will help.  I haven't
>installed that yet.  Nigel told me it installs on the
>engine shields.  Unfortunately, I don't have those.
>Anyone have extras?  I'm quite certain, I can
>fabricate something if I had something to work from.

Make sure you check the temp with a calibrated gauge before you get
too excited. I have several gauges and senders, and found that I
could make the gauge read anywhere from 1/4 to 3/4 depending on
exactly which combination I used!

Kevin Rhodes
Westbrook, ME
Freddy the '74 Spitfire
Freddy's new older sister - '69 Saab Sonett #1243 - winter project