[Spits] fan clutch

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Sat Aug 18 16:53:05 MDT 2007

Larry,
I think you are talking about the "Viscous coupler", which is not a clutch
at all and as I understand the thing it does not react to temperature at
all.  Instead it is designed to limit the fan speed at higher rpm to reduce
noise and limit the pull don on the engine as it virtually free wheels at
higher rpm.  I think the theory is that it pulls when you are driving around
town where the speed is not sufficient to keep natural air flow through the
radiator.  When you are at speed the thing free wheels allowing the natural
air flow to cool the engine.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Joe