[Shop-talk] Ancient furnace with cracked manifold

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Mon Nov 8 11:05:12 MST 2021

As someone that lives in a 'turn of 2 centuries' house (built in the
1700s), I can tell you they just need to bite the bullet and replace the
unit.

No matter what the cost, house fire, and/or poison gases are NOTHING to
gamble with.  I'm a guy that will hang off a ladder with a running
chainsaw, and I wouldn't take a chance with either of these.

Don't forget, a modern unit will be FAR more efficient and could pay for
itself in short time.  But replacing one or both loved ones is not an
option.

There may also be tax credits or incentive programs to offset the costs of
the upgrades.  Have them research around (but hurry.)  Their oil/gas
provider, local tax office, internet searches.  They may be surprised at
the availability of assistance for the upgrade.

As for repairing it, to properly weld cast iron, you need to slowly
preheat and cool down a piece.  This means it would NEED to be removed so
it can be placed in an oven.  Then if it wasn't really flat, it could
crack on reinstallation.

Frankly, before I tried to weld it, I would remove it and try to recast a
new piece.  Watch some videos on do it yourself cast iron.  Not outside of
the realm of a DIYer.  Very little specialize equipment required.  Maybe
you can find someone local to do it.  That way you just 'glue' the pieces
together to make a mold of it and recast it.  This isn't a high
performance part, so it should be possible.  A little machining afterwards
to the mating surfaces and you are good to go.

But I would only do that if replacement was completely unavailable until 6
or more months.

Moose