[Shop-talk] Mower blade orientaaion relative to piston

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Tue May 18 19:58:42 MDT 2021

Depends on the mower.  Most newer commercial mowers don't key the blade to
the shaft at all.  Instead they use friction washers to keep them
spinning.  That way if you hit something the washers can slip and absorb
the impact instead of damaging something.  This approach does require
sturdier spindle bearings to deal with the increased vibration when the
blades are out of time.  But they quickly slip the betts re-sync
themselves.

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 8:45 PM Thomas Coradeschi <tjcora at icloud.com> wrote:

> As others have noted, I can’t imagine any reason why it would make a
> difference. Multiple blade mowers require you to pay attention to that, for
> obvious reasons. My old Troy Bilt had keyed hubs and a cogged belt driving
> them, so that was easy (as long as you didn’t dork up replacing the cogged
> belt). My current Exmark requires you to actually think about the blade
> orientations when you install them:-)
>
>> Tom Coradeschi
> tjcora at icloud.com
>

> > On 18 May 2021, at 5:52 PM, Karl Vacek <stearman809 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Last time I sharpened my 21” walk-behind mower blade I thought of
> something that’s never occurred to me, after using the same brand of mower
> for 25 years..
> >
> > On a Snapper, the blade can actually go on any way onto the square
> adapter keyed to the crankshaft.  The mounting point is square, no pins, no
> longer side, nothing.
> >
> > One way would be aligned with the cylinder at TDC/BDC, and the other way
> would be across.  It’s been off many times and there’s no way to tell how
> it was mounted originally.  The manual is silent on this.
> >
> > Power stroke shouldn’t matter, but maybe some dynamic issue one way or
> the other?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Karl
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/tjcora@icloud.com

= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =