[Shop-talk] What's the deal with impact torx sockets?

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Sun May 30 05:17:39 MDT 2021

OK, first, WHY DO THEY USE TORX IN HIGH TORQUE APPLICATIONS?

These are the WORST fasteners I have ever used. (less flat blade
screwdrivers.)

Then, if they are going to use them, why can't they make a Torx impact
socket set that doesn't twist and brake the first time you use it?

OK, with that off my chest...

What is the THE BRAND/SET of torx impact sockets that I can rely on?  At
this point, price isn't really an issue.  I just want a set that I can use
in an impact gun and remove a bolt without breaking every time.  I would
want a complete set of sizes, but it seems that I always break the T40
first (it seems to be the most common size.)

FWIW, my first real injury while turning wrenches was with a Torx over 25
years ago.  I was trying to remove a brake component off of a Lumina and
the bit broke, and the wrench chipped my tooth.

TO THIS DAY, whenever I have to reach for a torx socket, I still taste
that broken tooth!  And, I have not found a set of torx that are worth a
darn.

So, please help me.  What set do I need?

Thanks.

Moose.