[Shop-talk] Re-wiring an outdoor outlet

John Innis jdinnis at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:29:06 MDT 2020

Yep, dig down a bit to find some of the conduit that is in good shape.
Glue on new conduit as needed.  I'd recommend new THHNW wires, pulled form
the box on the house.  Put your GFCI in the box on the house, I think it
needs to be in the circuit before it goes underground.  I'd drop a piece of
pressure treated 4x4 post to attach the new box to.  If you cast it in
concrete and end up having to make a fix again later, it will be a major
pain.

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 1:45 PM Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have this:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/QWy2Ikn.jpg
> https://i.imgur.com/s39fdds.jpg
>
> Happening at the new house. Those rocks surround the pool deck for
> ornamentation, I guess.
>
> Shockingly (or not, heh), those outlets work. I'd like to re-do the whole
> thing to be anchored into the ground and not make me nervous every time I
> look at it.
>
> The pool is about eight feet away. Maybe two feet of that rock...'garden'
> then six feet of concrete decking. Those outlets themselves don't appear to
> be GFCI, though I'd think it was a good idea. They have their own
> sub-panel, on the side of the house maybe forty feet away.
>
> I'm completely okay with throwing the breaker and installing a new actual
> outlet, I'm soliciting advice on how to re-do that conduit (can you
> 'splice' conduit so I dig and then do it like I'd do PVC?) and anchor the
> whole thing firmly to the ground. And for specific solutions you guys can
> think of too--I was thinking I could pour a concrete 'rock' in the garage
> with a hole for a gang box and then put that where this thing is now, etc.
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> Scott

= Never offend people with style when you   =
= can offend with substance --- Sam Brown  =