[Shop-talk] Re-wiring an outdoor outlet

Ronnie Day ronnie.day at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 13:12:20 MDT 2020

Scott, I like the idea of the box being a bit above the ground. Water
couldn't pool in it that way. All of the outside surface mount boxes I've
put in in the last several years have been plastic. Reduces the chance of
shortin if water does get inside. And I wrap each plug with electrical tape
to further reduce shorting possibilities.

If the conduit is in decent shape you can reuse it if you want. I'd pull
new wire, using the old wire to pull the new, suggest #12 stranded. You can
put a GFCI breaker in the panel, or a GFCI plug, but you need one or the
other. If you cast a "rock" to disguise this thing (I like the idea) be
sure to put a drain hole so that any water that does get inside the box
drains naturally.

HTH, RD