[Shop-talk] Re-wiring an outdoor outlet

Brian Kemp bk13 at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 10 16:09:58 MDT 2020

Scott - You have received good advice.

- Cut the conduit back to a straight section then run new.  It might be
helpful to have a compact pipe cutter if you intend to not pull new
wire.  Sample cutter:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-101-Tube-Cutter-1-4-in-to-1-1-8-in-40617/100075014

- If not running new wire, take about a foot of conduit out and shift
the location so you have fresh wire.  It looks like the insulation is
damaged where the conduit broke.
- Agree with the in-use cover others suggested.
- Agree about having the GFCI protecting the wire too.  Put it at an
upstream outlet or as the breaker.
- Agree with the suggestion to use a 4x4 post.
- Suspect the installation was not permitted.  Might be good to have an
electrician look at your sub-panel.  As an example, if the neutral wires
share a bus bar with the ground wires and panel box, that is likely
wrong.  Per my local codes, the only place ground and neutral wires can
share a bus bar is the main panel.
- Make sure the wires are sized for the circuit breaker.  12GA for 20A
and 14GA for 15A.

Brian