[Shop-talk] notching metal

Pat Horne patintexas at icloud.com
Sat Jan 4 09:56:44 MST 2020

Easy, plasma cutter!

John, this is not an easy task. I’d try a combination of methods. Once the sides are cut, holes are drilled & piece is broken off, grab the jig saw to clean out what’s left.

Is it crucial that the notch have a square bottom? If not just use a Large bit to drill out a hole to give you a radiused slot bottom.

Pat Horne
We support Habitat for Humanity

> On Jan 4, 2020, at 9:27 AM, john niolon via Shop-talk <shop-talk at autox.team.net> wrote:

Need some metal working expertise.  I know there is  a simpler way to notch metal than what I’m using.  I had to fabricate a latch thingy for a neighbor using 3/8” plate which required a rectangular notch to be cut in the plate about 3/4” wide and 3” deep.  I used a Metabo grinder with a .040 cutting disc to cut the sides but how to cut the back end of the notch.  I thought about a saber saw with a metal blade but the notch was very narrow and it would have been difficult in that small area. Guess I could have used a hole saw at the back of the notch and then squared up with a file...

I couldn’t reach in the gap with a 4.5” grinder to hog it out... finally I drilled a number of holes across the back line of the notch, broke out the slug and finished it with a file to make it square.  There has to be a better way.  Can’t find a hand tool to handle 3/8” material and notching machines aren’t in my budget..

give me some suggestions and options or ideas, that haven’t dawned on my feeble old brain !

john

https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/

Shop-talk at autox.team.net