[Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring

DAVID MASSEY dave1massey at cs.com
Tue Oct 15 10:53:22 MDT 2019

 If you have seen it done it would be obvious but if you haven't maybe watching this video will help.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZOUUuRwUSI
He is tensioning the spring here and what you want to do is the reverse but the technique is the same.  The bolts to loosen are the ones that secure the end of the spring to the shaft but make sure you stick a rod in the hole first.

Remember, there is a lot of stored energy in that spring.  If you don't feel confident, get professional help.

Dave