[Shop-talk] Fuel Octanes

eric at megageek.com eric at megageek.com
Sun May 7 11:23:40 MDT 2017

At the risk of starting a thread to rival the 'synthetic vs. conventional oil' debate, I have a question.

I always had trucks. I'm not a performance or luxury guy, so my fuel of choice was always go ole 87 octane.

Two weeks ago, I got an amazing deal on a 2007 MB GL450 just has my GMC was getting ready to 'move on.'

So, as all good geeks, I read the owners manual (not cover to cover yet, War and Peace was shorter.) But in there, they state I should only use 91 or higher octane.

Well, I don't necessarily mind pay about $10 more a fill up, but it got me wondering.

Does anyone know if this is REALLY necessary? Would 89 Octane do as well? What if I filled up the tank every time it hit a half tank and alternated between 89 and 93? (to average about 91)

What if I just ran 87? Is it possible engine damage, or just reduced fuel economy?

I started searching this on the web and I found out that the consensus is unanimous... Half agree, half dis-agree. 8>)

Anyway, what does this think tank think of this tank issue? 8>)

Sent from my Commodore 64 on a 2400 Baud Modem.
Tech Viper
"Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson