[Shop-talk] Stud finder - squeaky floor

Karl Vacek stearman809 at gmail.com
Thu May 4 09:43:16 MDT 2017

Thanks for all the suggestions!

My main goal was not wanting to destroy the very nice clear fir subfloor by drilling lots of holes into it.  But I guess that’s pretty much just my psychosis – it’s been carpeted since 1951 when the house was gutted, moved, and redesigned inside.  There are loads of nail holes from the tackles strip around the walls besides.  Nobody’s likely to want to use that as a finished floor, and with values here they’d want to use oak or something nicer than fir flooring.  And as I roll the carpet back more than the first 3 feet I see that it’s not really that wonderful anyway.

I’d still love to find a stud finder that works on something thicker than ½” drywall, or that doesn’t depend on steel fasteners near the surface.  Seems like with the sort of construction that permits those to work, banging your fist on the wall or using a magnet would be perfectly adequate.

I can certainly drill lots of holes (the way I find studs in our plaster and rock lath walls), and I’ll probably use my USB borescope to check out the interior of the joist spaces.  Pat’s suggestion to bang with a hammer to find the hollow areas may help but form that I’m finding apparent spaces that are far wider than I’d expect.  Gotta just drill and look.

Thanks to all !!

Karl