[Shop-talk] Epoxy garage floor coatings

Jim Stone 1789alpine at gmail.com
Wed May 3 06:19:50 MDT 2017

I am just about ready to coat my new garage and have been researching different coatings for a while.  While I had good luck with the original Rustoleum Epoxy about 15 years ago, my research has led me away from any of their current coatings.  The general consensus seems to be that the water-based epoxy is terrible, the solvent-based (“Professional") is ‘ok’, and the Rock Solid has some problems, as you have found.  After spending some time on Garage Journal I decided to go with one of GarageFlooring.com’s products.  (http://www.garageflooringllc.com <http://www.garageflooringllc.com/>)  There were other suppliers with good reviews, but I liked the low key way their president, Justin Krauss, responded to questions.  He answers them directly and doesn’t try to use Garage Journal as an overt sales tool, while other suppliers on the forum treat every question as a sales opportunity.  The products may be identical, but I prefer dealing with someone like Justin.

I emailed Justin directly and he responded with his recommendations very quickly.  We have had multiple email discussions as I continue to educate myself and one phone call just yesterday.  He has continued to be as I observed on Garage Journal: easy to deal with and not at all ‘sales-y’.  His recommendation to me is their Polyurea coating.  It is expensive (my garage is almost exactly the size of yours and I will spend over $1000 all in) but seems to be worth it.  My other consideration was Rust Bullet, which is a little less expensive and has very good reviews.  I ultimately eliminated it primarily because of the smell; it sounds like the Amerlock that Nick recommended and apparently really stinks when it is going on and for a few days afterwards.  Our garage has living space above and adjacent to it and I didn’t want to risk stinking everything up.  Plus, I want my wife’s help on this and she would have real trouble with the smell.  FWIW, Justin told me that Rust Bullet had been his favorite, but he would use Polyurea if he were doing his own garage today.

I can’t comment on the actual product yet, but feel like I have selected the right supplier to help me.  Actual painting is still a couple of weeks away.  Good luck!

Jim