[Shop-talk] Epoxy garage floor coatings

vintagenick42 vintagenick42 at yahoo.com
Mon May 1 14:04:51 MDT 2017

I have used Amerlock paint on my floors. Not made for floors but rather for offshore oil rigs. Figure thats a pretty ruff environment so the floor should be easy. It has held up very well for many yesrs now. It will get dull in hi traffic areas but is just not affected by chemicals.Only caveat is that it really is smelly while drying...as in you really dont want to be around for the next 24 hours after you paint. Wear a good respirator when paimting.
Bottom line...held up v well and i would use it again.
Painted into a corner again...Nick in norcal

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: john Mitchell <jmitch at snet.net> Date: 4/30/17  9:57 AM  (GMT-08:00) To: Shop Talk <shop-talk at autox.team.net> Subject: [Shop-talk] Epoxy garage floor coatings
I decided to do an epoxy floor in my garage and it's been a total
nightmare.   The guy painting my house said he could do it and had done
others before.  I prepared the floor by grinding down to bare concrete
with a diamond pad on a floor machine rented from Home Depot.  I let the
painter choose the product.  He bought Rustoleum Rock Solid which said
there would be enough for a 2.5 car garage. My garage is a basic 2 car
22' by 24' with a little cut off for a chimney.  He used the kit and
there is no way it was going to be enough as it only coated 3/4s of the
garage and thinly at that. He went and bought another single kit to
finish and of course it didn't match the first color.  He let it dry a
few day and sanded the floor to level the decorative chips in the paint
and used another 2.5 size kit to top coat it.  the color is a tan and
gray area rose through the paint basically ruining the looks of the
paint. I can't really blame him as he followed all the directions
carefully.  I think Rustoleum will reimburse him for all the paint I
hope.  At this point, I want to grind it all back off and start with
another product.  Anyone had any recent experience with garage floor
coatings?  Thanks very much,  John Mitchell  Shelton, CT

Shop-talk at autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.96
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive