[Shop-talk] Stud finder - squeaky floor

Karl Vacek stearman809 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 16:02:46 MDT 2017

Squeaky floors upstairs – not terrible for an 1871 house (moved, gutted, and
rebuilt in 1951), but still it’s the time to address them before we replace
the carpet.

I’m trying to locate floor joists beneath what I assume is a ¾” subfloor and
¾” of T&G fir flooring on top of that.  I really hate to rip up the nice fir
flooring to look, though it’s going to have carpet again so it’s not out of
the question.  All rock lath and plaster ceilings (about 1” total) below.

With the age of the house, stud and joist spacing is very unpredictable.
It’s not as if I can find one and measure to find the next one with any
certainty.

I’ve tried stud finders many times before with our construction, and nothing
has worked.  For walls I usually just drill tiny holes till I hit wood.  I
tried a neighbor’s garden-variety Strait-Line electronic stud finder and
it’s not capable.

Are there any really strong stud finders on the market today?

Or – any other ideas to quiet the floor?  Only a few spots actually squeak –
it’s not all over.  I thought about injecting urethane glue (it expands with
moisture) if I can find the joists, and then a few screws.  But where are
the joists?